Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve 2011

As a native New Yorker my first thoughts of New Years Eve are of freezing in Times Square filled with joy as that wondrous ball dropped with everyone counting down. New Years Eve has been celebrated in Times Square since 1904 with the glowing ball making it's first appearance in 1907. Now living in Fresno CA I forsake the freezing and have to settle for Dick Clark's "New Year's Rockin' Eve" on my living room TV. New Year's is a time for looking forward and making plans for the year. I prefer plans since the keeping of resolutions has a poor track record when associated with the New Year.

Self reliant individuals will always find a way to prosper. They make the best of their situation and accommodate change. They live within their means. As one of those self reliant people I'm ready to celebrate the coming of the new year with personal optimism. At the same time I can't help but be sad about the damage foisted on America by the Obama administration. Spiraling debt, political corruption, class warfare, abdication of our leadership on the world stage and many other things deeply hurt someone like me that has proudly served and loves this country. For the first time in my life I fear for my country, unlike Michele Obama I've always been proud to be an American. One more year of Obama is scary enough but the thought of five more years is inconceivable. I pray that America wakes up and votes Obama out before our once strong nation and the American spirit are destroyed beyond repair. I can't bear the thought of the end of the American dream.

I may be mad as hell about what Obama has done to America but I won't let him steal my personal optimism and determination. It's New Years Eve and I'm at my keyboard writing this post. Willie Nelson is singing "City of New Orleans" in the background and I'm enjoying a cup of coffee. A bottle of brandy is close at hand to toast in 2012. My best to all for the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment